Monday, January 7, 2008

2007: A Fitness Year in Review

This Week is definitely a big week to hit it hard! My group exercise teaching schedule is back to normal with the holiday season over and I've changed my workout progression to create a new goal for the 2008. 2007 was amazing and as I look back on this past year there was so much to be thankful for. My wife and I moved back to Las Vegas, we both have great jobs and I finally finished my Ph.D. It was a great year indeed!

On the exercise side I really used 2007 as a platform and a challenge to get myself back to my college track and field fitness level. I've always been in good shape, but I wanted 2007 to be the year that I got back into superior fitness shape. At the beginning of the year I switched to a very basic fitness plan that is similar to what I give my clients who have not exercises in years or ever. I wanted to rebuild my base and that is an important concept to remember because you can't just speed into your best fitness without building a base. Would you build a house withoout a foundation? So, the first four months of my program I stuck to interval workouts on the treadmill and muscular endurance for resistance training. That was complimented with the high intensity workouts I was doing with my students back in Kansas. I basically cut up my workout days into Monday (high intensity), Tuesday (low/moderate intensity), Wednesay (high intensity), Thurdays (low/moderate intensity). My weekends were for recovery activites such as taking walks with my wife and our dog. The result of my high/low-moderate workout schedule was that I went from 7% body fat down to my 3% body fat, which was my body fat percentage when I was a collegiate track and field athlete.

Here is an example of some of the high intensity workouts I did with my personal training Students back in Kansas:

#1

Manic Energy System

Floor Touches x 20 seconds (1st level)
Med Ball Squat Combos x 2 min.
Floor Touches x 30 seconds (2nd level)
Med Ball Lunges x 2 min
Floor Touches x 40 seconds (3rd level)
Med Ball Slams x 2 min
Floor Touches x 20 seconds (4th level)
Med Ball Squat Throws x 30 seconds

4-5 min. active recovery

Hallway Runs x 30 seconds
Biceps Curls x 1 min
Hallway Runs x 10 seconds
L-Raises x 1 min
Hallway Runs x 30 seconds
T-Extension x 1 min
Hallway Runs x 40 seconds
A-Skip x 1 min
Hallway Runs x 10 seconds
Side Shuffle x 1 min
Hallway Runs x 45 seconds
Side Hops x 1 min
Cool Down x 1 min.

4-5 minute active recovery

High Knee Runs x 20 seconds
Push Ups x 30 seconds
High Knee runs x 20 seconds
Bench Dips x 30 seconds
High Knee Runs x 20 seconds
Prone Side Jumps x 30 seconds
High Knee Runs x 20 seconds
Elbow to Knee Ins x 30 seconds
High Knee Runs x 20 seconds
Squat Holds x 20 seconds
High Knee Runs x 20 seconds
Squat Holds x 30 seconds

4-5 minute active rest

5 min. cool down


#2

Hell’s Circle

Instructions:

Place 5-6 steppers place in a circle with various numbers of risers underneath them.
Participants will go around in a circle on the steppers switching exercises on them in accordance with circle leader’s commands.
No participant can enter into the circle until the person in the circle has completed all reps in the middle
In a group of 5-6 each person should have a least 2 turns in the middle

Ø Inside the Circle: Phase 1

o Mountain Climbers x 30
o Jumping Jacks x 30
o Side to Side Hops x 30
o Cross Country Skiers x 30
o High Knee Run x 30
o Tuck Jumps x 30
o Ice Skaters x 30

Ø Outside the Circle: Phase 1

o Lunges
o Squats
o Run


Ø Inside the Circle: Phase 2

o Mountain Climbers x 30
o Jumping Jacks x 30
o Side to Side Hops x 30
o Cross Country Skiers x 30
o High Knee Run x 30
o Tuck Jumps x 30
o Ice Skaters x 30


Ø Outside the Circle: Phase 2

o 4-count hand step up
o Push Ups
o Run with dumbbells

Around May, when my wife and I moved back to Las Vegas, I got back on the track and started doing some interval workouts on the track. Being back on the track brought back some fond and painful memories of being a sprinter in college. I still get a rush out of running down the track doing ins and outs, 100's, 200's and no rest 400's. It was a challenging couple of months with those workouts. I switched to a mainly body weight resistance training program as well during that time. Why? Because I wanted to get away from the structure I had and kind of do it old school for a bit. One thing that I was proud of was that I went on a week cruise with my family and worked out four times. I was able to feel great during the whole cruise and my wife and I's diligent effort to maintain our workout routine paid off. We both gained no weight on the cruise! This is sigifnicant as most people gain a significant amount of weight on cruises (some people gain up to 10 pounds!).

Here's an example of some of my track workouts early this summer:

#1

10 x 100 meter ins and outs (16 second pace per 100 meters, 100 meter walk active rest) 2 x 200 meter (32 second pace, 2 minute rest)2 x 400 meter (no rest btw, 40 sec. per 200)
Push Ups 4 x 30 seconds
Bleacher Dips 4 x 30 seconds

#2

6 x 200 meter run (15 second pace per 100 meters, walking to hill active rest)
6 x 100 meter hill run (all out across up and across the hill)


Once I was hired at Club Ridges and International Game Technology I immediately switched to a high intensity cardio/resistance training routine and a steady hiking regiment bi-weekly. On the treadmill I did a lot of pace tempo and interval training for no longer than 20-25 minutes. With my resistance training I changed to compound and supersets for my upper and lower body. I did the cardio and resistance training on in the same session and did these sessions 3 days a week. As I began to teach my group exercise classes (Core Power and Circuit Training) in August I cut back to just doing my group exercises classes twice a week and a moderate intensity muscular endurance resistance training program once per week. This went on until December 1st. At that point I intro'd my 2008 plan, which I will explain in my next post.

Here's an example of a treadmill workout I did this past fall:

Warm Up 5 minute run @ 6.0 mph, 0% incline

1 min. run @ 8.5 mph, 0% incline
1 min. run @ 6.0 mph, 0% incline
Repeat this sequence for 2o minutes

Dr. Darian
"Let Your Heart Wear the Crown, Not Your Head"
Post a Comment