Monday, January 7, 2008

Gearing Up for a Fit 2008

What up everyone!

Ok, so you saw my 2007 workout plan. Now here's what I have in store for 2008. It has been some time since I got back to my periodization roots so my big plan for 2008 is to do a full year cycle of periodization for my resistance training program.

For anyone who does not know what periodization is, here's a brief explanation. Periodization is a training program that consists of cycles. These cycles are broken down into macrocycles (1-4 years), mesocycles(6 months- 1 year) and microcycles (1week-6 months). My periodization program will be a year long and will be broken in four month mircocycles. The four month microycle will consist of a month of muscular endurance, a month of hypertrophy, a month of muscular strength and a month of power. Once that four month cycle is complete I will cycle back through it three times for a total of 12 months.

The purpose of periodization is prepare athletes (this is the main population this type of training is used for) to peak during championship season. The concept is to begin using high volume (reps) and low intensity (load) and progress towards the last part of the season, which is the most important doing low volume (reps) and high intensity (load).

The first phase of resistance training periodization is muscular endurance. This is where you build your base. Generally speaking it involves 2-3 sets, 12+ reps, 67% or lower load and 30 seconds or less rest between sets.

After 4 weeks the next phase is hypertrophy which is where we look to build the size of the muscle. This invovles 3-6 sets, 6-12 reps, 67-85% load and 60-90 seconds rest between sets.

The next month of periodization is muscular strength. This is working on increasing how much weight you can lift. This involves 2-6 sets, 6 or less reps, 85% or higher load and 2-5 minutes rest between sets.

The last phase that I have chosen to do is the power phase. This works on explosiveness. This involves 3-5 sets, 3-4 reps, 90-93% load and full recovery between sets.

So, you can see that this will be a challenging workout plan, but I plan to incorporate this twice a week in the mornings (Monday and Friday). On Monday and Wednesday evenings I will continue to teach my Core Power and Circuit Training classes. This will mix up my routine and allow me to work more on core and balance activities. I also intend to get back into my bi-weekly hiking routine in February as the weather will be warming up fairly nice in Vegas by then. All in all I will have four workouts each week (five when I hike), but only on three days during the week. This type of program allows for sufficient rest for me, which will allow me to have quality workouts each time I step into the gym.

I also plan on heading up to Club Ridges occasionally on Friday evenings with my wife to do some ultimate workouts. My ultimate workouts are workouts that are puke worthy. Yes, you head it right...puke worhty. These are the best of the best workouts and every now and then you have to face an intimidating workout to test your might. Those are my favorite! Here is an example of one we will be doing in the next couple of weeks:

MetaStrength

*5 rounds for time

*Weight used for front squat is just below 10 rep max or do 75% of body weight

Round 1
10 Front Squats
25 Jump Pull Ups
25 Box Jumps
20 Push Ups
Round 2
10 Front Squats
25 Jump Pull Ups
25 Box Jumps
20 Push Ups
Round 3
10 Front Squats
25 Jump Pull Ups
25 Box Jumps
20 Push Ups
Round 4
10 Front Squats
25 Jump Pull Ups
25 Box Jumps
20 Push Ups
Round 5
10 Front Squats
25 Jump Pull Ups
25 Box Jumps
20 Push Ups

Repeat

Dr. Darian
"Let Your Heart Wear the Crown, Not Your Head"
Post a Comment