Monday, July 20, 2009

Get To Know Me Outside of Business Before We Get Into Business

Have you ever gotten a phone call from a telemarketer trying to sell you something? Or how about this...do you ever watch those late night infomercials trying to sell you a product that more than likely you don't need? I'm sure you are reading this saying I sure have. Well, the truth about is that these are just a few in your face selling ploys that we deal with on a daily basis if you think about it. Someone is always trying to sell us something or tell us that this product is one that we can't live without. I'm here to tell you that I do not believe that good business is done this way.

Good business is done by taking the time to really get to know your target audience and then building those relationships from there. My motto is simple when it comes to business..."GET TO KNOW ME OUTSIDE OF BUSINESS BEFORE WE GO INTO BUSINESS". The best business relationships are fostered over time. These are relationships where trust and respect are built. If I don't trust you and if I certainly don't respect you then I definitely will not do business with you.

I would say on a daily basis these days I get approached by various folks for different opportunities, but I only entertain the ones who have tried to cultivate a meaningful professional relationship with me. When I prospect for clients for personal training many times I will take months in building a relationship with a potential client before approaching training with them. It is the investment in getting to know them that is the most important.

You see, I'm not in it for an overnight success story. I'm in it for a long term success story. One of my close friends in The Ridges gives me financial and life advice and I listen intently each time he talks. He always tells me to "build your wealth methodically and carefully and develop solid relationships that you can depend on." I cannot mention this guy's name, but he is one of the elite businessmen here in Vegas and as I wrote in a past blog, if you want to be successful then make sure to attach yourself to successful people.

Overall, if you want to stand tall in life you have to create lasting and dependable relationships with others who share your vision and goals. Until the next time everyone.

Dr. D
Post a Comment