Monday, September 28, 2009

Consistency is Everything

When my wife and I first started dating some six years ago I remember a conversation that we had revolving around being on time to things. She mentioned that while she was on time to her job and other job related functions that she was regularly late when ever she showed up to meet her friends to go out. Her friends were none to pleased about it, but my wife did not care much about it. I remember mentioning why she would be consistent in being on time at work, but not for her friends. To my amazement she was like I guess I never really thought about it. She also said, that she just thought her friends would understand, but that her job would not and that she was getting paid for that. I told her that she should try to be consistent in being on time in all phases of her life. She thought about it for a second and then looked at me and agreed. From then on she has been very consistent in being on time and in many other things.

The point in this whole conversation is that we as people spend so much time putting on our "A" game for one thing in our lives, but then don't do the same for other parts of our life. How can that be? One of the most important things that a person can do is to be consistent in all phases of his/her life. Consistency is everything.

Now, I must say that I am certainly not perfect in this category nor am I in any other category of life, but I do know that I do try my best to be consistent across all facets of my life. I also know that people respect that. You see while it is good to have the element of unpredictability in life so that we can grow, it is also important that there is an element of predictability in terms of the behavior of people around us. I don't know about you, but I like to be around people who I know will come through for me time and time again. And not only that but people who also will come through for others time and time again in various areas of life. Consistency is everything.

If you are consistent in your behavior in various areas then you will be a person that many people learn to come to for advice and guidance because they respect your consistency. My challenge for all of you out there is to do your best in being consistent in all aspects of your life.

Until next time everyone...

Dr. D
Post a Comment