Monday, November 9, 2009

Finding Balance in Your Personal and Professional Life

About seven months ago on a Monday morning I sat down in front of my computer with my freshly brewed cup of coffee and opened up my Google calendar. While I knew I was going to have a busy week, I had no clue that it was going to be one of the busiest weeks I've ever had. As I glanced through the maze of color coded appointments, directions for venues I had to visit and alert pop ups and e-mails for these events, I started to think..."man, my head is swirling with things to do". I realized at that point that I needed to take a step back and find some more balance in my life because my schedule was spiraling out of control. I was becoming overwhelmed with all of these tasks and appointments that I had planned. While I was good at scheduling in the professional appointments and events in my life, I wasn't exactly doing the same thing for the personal aspects of my life. I needed to find a better balance between my personal and professional life.

So, what did I do? I sat down with my wife and let her know that I needed to make more time for her and provide a better balance between my professional life and our personal life together. If anyone knows me even decently well then you know that I'm an attack dog when it comes to getting things done. I don't mess around or play games when it comes to righting the wrongs of anything in my life. I want to pinpoint a plan and go dedicate myself to it wholeheartedly. In that moment I took a hold of the craziness in my life and created a sense of balance and peace between the personal and professional areas of my life. While I still may be very busy some days with professional endeavors, you can check out my calendar and see a sea of fun filled personal outings and adventures as well. My wife and I have dates every week and each month we have some type of outing or trip planned with close friends of ours. We are making more time to visit our families back east this coming year and doing so much better at keeping in contact with all the important people in our lives. My wife comes to all of the networking events I have each month and even works the check in counter. It has brought us even closer together and allowed her to share in the professionals passions that I'm involved in. Even if you have to schedule it in like I do the point is that you are doing it. The balance between personal and professional can sometimes get clouded, but there is always a way to navigate these two passages of life.

So think about it...have you had that moment yet when you thought that you were skewed so heavily one way or another? Or maybe you have a great handle on the balance of personal and professional in your life. If so that is wonderful! However, so many of us get so caught up in the seriousness of our work that we forget to have fun. Or on the other hand, playing so much that you never take time to build and grow your career. There's room to do both. You just have to find your own way to balance it. In the game of life one of the greatest challenges is to find the harmony between the physical, emotional, social, occupational, spiritual and intellectual aspects of your life. This is a journey we will all struggle with the rest of our lives, but we can do our best to find a center and a peace within us to balance these things the best we can.

I wish you the best in your journey everyone and until next time...keep working hard in creating a strong sense of balance in your life.

Dr. D

Post a Comment