Monday, November 23, 2009

We CAN change

Have you ever heard someone talk to you and say "you wouldn't believe the person I used to be."I have heard that all too often in my travels, but the person I've heard say that the most has been...well...me. The person I am today is a much different person than I was a good eight years ago. I went through a period when I made a lot of bad decisions. Yup, I did a lot of stupid things and all the while I kept thinking to myself when am I going to stop being such an idiot? When am I going to change my ways and grow up?

I guess you could say that there was one day that really changed it all for me. I was sitting in my room in Madison Manor. I was in the first year of my Master's degree and I was just in a haze of depression and doubt. I can remember crying in the middle of my room and thinking that I've reached a really low point in my life. I was living a risky lifestyle and I was keeping secrets left and right and I was just being so fake around everyone that I knew. I needed a life makeover. I needed to change and get back to the basics of who I really was.

Needless to say, I marched myself out my apartment and over to Aletheia Church. My good buddy Aaron Proffitt, the worship leader for Alethia, had invited me to come to church to check it out many months ago. He knew that I grew up in the church as my parents were adamant about my brother and I knowing the Lord. However, as the story goes for many re-newed Christians, we had a falling out of faith at some point even though we knew the Lord was calling us back. And boy was I kicking and clawing to not come back, but eventually I did and as soon as I saw my buddy Aaron meet me at the door to the church I new everything was going to change for me and it did. I submitted myself back into the arms of the Lord and was renewed again. I spent a good year getting to know me through different eyes and it really spurred me on to be the man I am today. I was able to change and become a light to others and that was what I wanted to do so desperately. I wanted to live a life of service to others.

Now, I know some of you might be thinking, "I hope this is not a blog post about finding God." And to that I say you are correct. It is not a post about that, but it is a post about finding positive change in your life, whatever that may be. While my Christian faith surrounds me and guides who I am on a daily basis, that is not the point of this blog. The point is that whatever your path is you must find the guidance for positive change in your life. Sure, mine was and continues to be my faith, but for you it may be something completely different. Whatever that guidance point is make sure to be true to it and use it to further the causes of others.

I find one of the best ways to change yourself for the better is to change the course of another life. There are great stories of people who give to another to change their life and in turn change their own lives. That is powerful! We see it so much in our life in things such as adoption, mentoring, charities and so on and so forth. Our greatness as human beings is in our ability to not only change ourselves for the better, but to change the fortunes of someone else. We have a great responsibility to be true to this power that we all wield. We CAN become so much more than we allow ourselves to be.

Find the source of guidance that changes you to become more than you ever thought you would be and use that to strike a positive note in someone else's life.

Until next time....

Dr. D
Post a Comment