Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Some People Do, Some People Don't

I know you've heard it...yup, you have. You've heard story after story of people who tell you they are going to do this or do that. Yup, I know you've heard it before. Or maybe you've heard yourself say those things many times then never actually do what you say you are going to do.

I have to say that I have in my lifetime I've been surrounded by many talkers, but only a select few doers. In life it is easy to get caught up with those who don't do anything, but it can be very difficult to keep up with those who are doers. Doers understand sacrifice. Doers understand time management. Doers understand the value of investing into others and following through. Doing by its definition is well...hard! I'd say that anything that is worth anything requires a tremendous amount of work and dedication.

It is too easy to be someone who doesn't do anything. Think about it. When you do nothing you get nothing and you just go about your life having conversations that start like this..."you know I've always wanted to, but..." or "I'd like to do that, but my life..." You know what those statements are? Excuses. Excuses to remain stagnant and never take a chance to be a driving force in the world. It is too easy to sit at home and fill your time with mindless things everyday. My colleague Heather Doane and I had a conversation about this very topic the other day during one of our Connect to Fitness weekly meetings. We both agreed that one of the key ways to being a doer is to be clever with how you spend your free time. Doers find a great balance between personal and professional. Doers get lots of things done even when time is limited. Again being a doer is tough. It is difficult, but it is so worth.

So, take the challenge to become a doer and not someone who just sits around and let's life happen to them. As I always say to the people in my life...make it happen!

Until next time...

Dr. D
Post a Comment