Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What Really Matters Is...

I sat in meeting after meeting, talk after talk trying to make sense of what I was hearing. Each sentence that was uttered only saddened me more because I kept telling myself "is any of this really important?" Now, while I can't really discuss the contents of my talks, I can tell you that the ridiculousness of it was far beyond what is acceptable behavior for adults. Okay, let me explain or rather let me throw it out this way. Have you ever just heard people complain and be passionate about the wrong thing? Or better yet be so pumped up in anger over things that are just not that important when you check out what's really tough in life? I'm sure you have and that's when you tell yourself..."what really matters is..."

What really matters are the things that tie us to our emotional anchors. Caring about people and the plight of those who are less fortunate than us is what really matters. The longer I live on this earth I see how we as a people spend our time doting over silly little things when we should be focusing ourselves on the issues that really need our time, attention and efforts.

I was struck particularly by "what really matters" when I was watching CNN's All-Star Tribute to Heroes. A list of wonderfully devoted and selfless individuals crossed the stage while I was watching the show. Each of them, one after another, being praised and recognized for being an instrument of hope in the lives of others. The Hero of the Year was a man who had a little cart full of books and other educational materials and rolled it around poverty stricken neighborhoods in the Philippines teaching kids how to read and write and generally just enjoy the process of learning. Another man built a shelter for our homeless veterans who have served our country bravely, but now are on the outs and in need of help. There were several other Heroes who were able to share their story and each one reminded me that what really matters is fighting for those who cannot fight for themselves. We have to stand up and begin to care more about the right things rather than things that are inconsequential.

That is why I am so proud of all the people who are involved in my networking group Connect to Fitness. I formed Connect to Fitness with a goal of investing into others in the profession not because of money or notoriety or prestige. Nope, CTF was created to be a light in a very dark and difficult world called the fitness industry. With such a lack of regulation the fitness profession needs more leaders who will stand up and fight for higher standards and better job opportunities. This is what really matters in my profession. And I know there are many "what really matters" buttons in all of your professions no matter what you do.

As I put down the phone and ended the last of my meetings today I sat back in my chair in my office and allowed myself to dream and gaze into the bigger things that are awaiting me in this life. Creating a movement of change for fitness, raising productive and loving children one day and always continuing to pursue my wife's happiness because she is the most important person to me. Those are the things that really matter and I must never forget that and I hope that in your life you don't forget what really matters as well.

Until the next time...

Dr. D
Post a Comment