Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bring on the Love

Singing...

Love
So many things I've got to tell you
But I'm afraid I don't know how
Cause there's a possibility
that you'll look at me differently
Love
Ever since the first moment I spoke your name
From then on I knew that by you being in my life
Things were destined to change cause

Love
So many people use your name in vain
Love
Those who have faith in you sometimes go astray
Love
Through all the ups and downs the joys and hurts
Love
For better or worse I still will choose you first


Oh man...I just love that song by Musiq Soulchild. I remember listening to that song for the first time some years ago and thinking how profound those words were. Think about it. Love is scary, it is breathtaking, it is nerve racking, it is beyond joy and it is heartbreaking. Love is wonderful in the best of times and gut wrenching in the worst of times. Love stands on its own because love is that powerful.

But, the real issues with love is while it is all of those things, it is also none of those things. You might be saying how can you say that? Well, love can be invisible or dormant if you forget to wear it on yourself and with others in your life. You see, the funny thing about love is that while we can trumpet its intensity and meaningfulness in our lives, we can also forget about it in our lives. How can you love if you forget about love?

That's why it is so important to bring on the love each day in different ways to other people in your life and for yourself. Let's start with yourself because truthfully if you can't love you for who you are and all the flaws you have then you can't bring the love to others fully. If you are quirky and a little out there then love it. Embrace it. If you are determined, gritty and driven then fall in love with that everyday. Don't be ashamed of who you are innately.

With others you must love by verbalizing and showing that you care. Ask yourself this...what kind of friendship do you have if you can't tell that friend how much you care about them? What kind of significant other relationship do you have if you just can't muster up the courage to be vulnerable and look that person in the eyes and speak and show a commitment to love? What kind of boss are you if you can tell your employees what they are doing wrong, but can't tell them what they are doing so incredibly right? The truth of the matter is that bringing the love begins with you, but ultimately ends with how you communicate that to others.

Your kind love and your tough love is needed when you walk out that door each day to serve all the people in your life. Now, will you mess up along the way in your journey? Of course! We are all human, but we have an amazing capacity to bring the love to so many people. However, that love cannot be lukewarm. You can't halfway love with yourself and with others. You must be in or else you'll be on the outside looking in. Love is not a light switch. It is not a TV that you turn on and off at your whim. Bringing the love means a dive into an ocean filled with still waters and wild currents. It sucks sometimes, but it is also so thrilling and joyful.

You and I have the opportunity to throw on love each day and take a chance on being free with our hearts. I'll leave you with the rest of the song...

Many days I've longed for you
Wanting you
Hoping for the chance to get to know you
Longing for your kiss
For your touch, your feel, your Presence
Many nights I've cried from the things you do
Felt like I could die from the thought of losing you
I know that you're real
With no doubts and no fears
And no questions

Love
So many people use your name in vain
Love
But,those who have faith in you sometimes go astray
Love
Through all the ups and downs the joys and hurts
Love
For better or worse I still will choose you first

At first you didn't mean that much to me, no
But now I know that you're all I need, oh
The world looks so brand new to me
Now that I found love
Everyday I live for you, yeah
And everything that I do
I do it for you
What I say is how I feel so I believe it's true
You got to know I'm true

Love
So many people use your name in vain
Love
But,those who have faith in you sometimes go astray
Love
Through all the ups and downs the joys and hurts
Love
For better or worse I still will choose you first


Dr. D

Post a Comment