Sunday, April 25, 2010

Make Someone Feel Special

I woke up on April 22nd, 2010 and it was like any other day. I awoke and gave my wife a kiss and a hug and then headed to the bathroom to brush my teether, shower, get dressed and generally get ready for the day. I decided to skip checking my e-mail messages on my blackberry because I knew I needed to walk Bob (my dog) before I left for work. When I got back from walking Bob I checked my messages and saw several notices for voice mails and several notifications for e-mails. I knew that there was going to be a busy day. I scrolled through my e-mail messages until I got to one that just really had me very emotional.

It was from my Dad. My Dad was in on a business trip in Colorado Springs, but he managed to send me a message that I would see when I woke up. My father wrote:

"Happy birthday son!!! My goodness--it seems like yesterday you were 12 years old. Now you are in your 30's with a gut in your destiny (lol). Enjoy the day and again happy birthday. I am proud to have you as a son. I am in Colorado Springs."

Dad
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

If you get past my Dad's insistence that I'm going to get a gut (not gonna happen by the way!) you can see he wrote some very nice things to me. I wrote my father back and let him know how much his words meant to me. How much his words just set me free for that day. Ever since I was a kid I've always looked up to my Dad and I still do to this day. He is my hero and his advice continues to guide me each day. My Dad...on my birthday...made me feel so special to be his son. I had a great birthday...actually probably the best that I have ever had! So many people told me some amazing and touching things and I was brought to tears several times. It was a very powerful day!

Now, why am I sharing this all with you? What is the point? Well...the point is take some time to pour into others. Inject a meaningful and warm feeling of kindness and care into other people and watch how your life will be blessed beyond what you could ever believe. You know...over the past two years I have made a commitment to investing into others and I have profited immensely in so many ways...emotionally, socially, physically, spiritually and financially.

What's the secret? Making other people feel special about who they are and helping to light a fire within them to become the best they can be. Inject a blazing fire of hope into others and watch as your life will blossom beyond your wildest dreams. Think about those folks who influenced you positively in your life. How did they make you feel? What did they do to push you in the right direction? Whatever that was...give it to someone else. If you do that I promise you that you will always be on a path towards increasing your own fortunes.

Makes someone feel special and then you will find a joy and a purpose in life that you need and that is far better than whatever you thought you wanted.

Until the next time...

Dr. D




Post a Comment