Monday, June 7, 2010

Other People...Your Greatest Investment

I turned on the TV and saw that legendary college basketball coach and human being John Wooden had passed away at 99 years old. As I watched Sportscenter I heard many of his former players talk about how Coach Wooden was a great person because he served others. I also learned that Coach Wooden never made more than $32,500 a year coaching the UCLA Bruins to 10 NCAA Championships. And you know what? Coach Wooden need not worry about how much he made because to him his greatest source of joy was his investment in other people. He taught players how to live a quality life. He taught values and morals and because of that he produced some of the most successful human beings in his day. All because he chose to invest into the greatness of others who were in his life.

I often think about the investment that people make into each other these days. And why? Well, because investments are self-serving by many people these days. We'll climb over others to see our own success. We'll push someone down so that we can stand and get what we think we deserve. However, I've never met a person who was out for themselves solely that truly hit it big in life. You see, while you may not get rich monetarily investing into to others, you will certainly become rich in your heart and that feels better than any compensation you can receive.

Over the past few years I have been so fortunate that many people have allowed me to serve them and help them grow their personal and professional success. I've seen people with no hope come full circle and help others find hope in themselves. I've seen people who are broken help make someone else whole and in term heal themselves. I've seen people with nothing give to others who have everything. Investing into others is magical and always feels like something bigger than one's self.

I think that's why I love my job so much at Club Ridges. I get the great opportunity to not only serve our residents of The Ridges, but also my staff. My staff is like anyone else in the world. They are trying to live and be productive people. There are great times and challenging times, but in the end we are close knit group and we care about each other. We serve each other and because of that we have experienced unprecedented success.

You also can experience that as well by sitting down with another person and asking how you can contribute to their well being and success? Invest in a genuine and real way and watch your blessings grow. You know...the real and honest truth is that you get out of life what you put back into it. If you invest kindness, compassion, generosity and love into life then that is what you will get back. If you invest selfishness and greed into life then you will get that in return. So ask yourself...have you given to someone else to see their fortunes grow or are you just looking out for yourself?

Until next time...

Dr. D


Post a Comment