Monday, August 22, 2011

Calling is a Novelty

I think everyone remembers this one. You sat waiting, waiting, waiting...for the person you were interested in to call you. You just couldn't wait until that phone rang. You were tense, nervous, excited, hopeful and scared all at the same time. And then...it rang! It rang! You picked up the phone and tried to be smooth while you were talking to the person you were interested in. You know...trying to act like you really weren't sweating it that they were calling. Boy, those were the days and you know what? I miss it when I waited anxiously for a phone call from someone. Now, what are we waiting on...a text from someone? Somehow that just does not seem as fulfilling and personal.


I remember when I was engaged to my wife Michelle and we used to call each other every night when we were apart. For the first year of our relationship we lived on opposite sides of the country. She was in Pennsylvania getting things prepared for our wedding and I was a first year doctoral student at UNLV. We used to have phone dates where we rented the same movie and pressed play at the same time. All the while we talked on the phone while watching a movie. It was awesome and I couldn't wait to have those nights and our daily phone calls. We did that for a whole year and I still cherish those moments.


As a society though we have moved away from the phone call. So much so that now when you call someone to tell them thank you or ask them a question, they are surprised that you even called! I know people who will text you constantly and then when you try to call them they will not pick up the phone. What kind of sense does that make? While I must say that I do enjoy e-mail and texting, there has to be limits to this so we do not forget that hearing someone's voice is essential to relationship building.


So, the next time that you are thinking of texting someone or e-mailing someone or whatever you do online, think about getting offline and making that phone call. Because calling should not be a novelty.

Until next time....


Dr. D

Post a Comment