Monday, August 22, 2011

If You Do the Right Thing...You Can't Be Wrong!

Dr. Marge Slattery was a commanding and highly intelligent professor at James Madison University. She had a repulation for being tough in the classroom. I never minded that as I think professors should expect a lot from their students. I remember taking philosophy with her during my undergraduate studies. It was one of the toughest classes I have ever taken, but it was also one of the most rewarding. The first day of class I remember her saying clear as day, "Philosophy is about what one ought or ought not do." Essentially, what is the right thing to do and what is the wrong thing to do based on your philosophical point of view. While everyone is a mix of several philosophies (humanism, pragmatism, idealism and so forth), we all for the most part know when faced with tough decisions what we should do.


What's funny though is how we as humans deal with the everyday trappings of life that try to convince us to do the wrong thing. It seems that every time you turn around there is a way to manipulate the system or tell little white lies to get an advantage. On a daily basis we are all faced with the basic tenet of philosophy...ought or ought not...right or wrong. You know the answer.


However are you strong enough to turn away from the wrong thing and courageous enough to do the right thing even in the face of much scrutiny? I have lived on this earth for 33 years and as I have gotten older it has become much clearer what I ought or ought not do. There is a certain clarity to life's dilemmas in the fact that there really are no dilemmas. Doing the right thing is always the best option. While in the short term you might take bumps and bruises for doing the right thing...I promise it will be worth it in the long run.


Look at it this way, if you feel like you are sneaking around, keeping secrets and doing things that you know you probably shouldn't do then well...you are certainly doing the wrong thing. If you are seriously doubting an action you are about to do then why are you doing it? Listen, if you are doing wrong then just step up and admit it and then make a turn to the positive. One thing people love is a comeback story. You always have the choice to do the right thing even after you have done many wrong things. I know that I've done my fair share of bonehead things and I'm not proud of them, but I also know that each day I can be a better person by moving towards that which is positive in my life.


Everyone has the ability to make a positive difference in their own life and the lives of others. As long as you do the right thing you can't be wrong! Remember, whatever you do in the dark will come to light so make good decisions and step up to the plate and be honest with yourself and others.


Until next time....


Dr. D

Post a Comment