Monday, August 22, 2011

What are the Good Extremes?

I was sitting in a lecture by Dr. Todd Miller today at the 2011 NSCA Personal Trainer's Conference and I was struck by the topic of extreme exercise practices. As he went through various programs that were not based in any real science or any real reason to do them I was baffled by the level of extremism in our society. While we are seeing extreme exercise patterns everywhere, the same can be said for the culture at large.


Think about it....we are engulfed in a vast wasteland of extreme things these days. We have TV shows that publicize extreme family size, we have extreme fame for people with absolutely no talent, we see extreme portion sizes for meals, extreme diets, extreme superficiality and it goes on and on. It really is sad.


As my wife and I were riding in the car later today I came back to this topic that has been bothering me. I turned to my wife in the car and said why isn't there extreme levels of things like kindness? What about extreme work ethic? How about extreme follow through? Or extreme generosity? Where is this kind of extremism? The more I think about it the more I am perplexed by life that we live in today. We are experiencing somewhat of an identify crisis in our society. We are so extreme in such negatives ways that the tide will have to shift at some point.


It is my hope that the tide shifts to amazing levels of kindess, determination, grace and humility. Will that happen? It is hard to tell, but I know one thing....it will be a very slow process. Excellent behavioral practices don't make the news. Exemplary behavior is not celebrated and put on a pedestal. It is slow moving and it takes a tremendous effort from positive people to make it happen.


That's what I love about Connect to Fitness. We are small, but we can be so powerful if we make an extreme level of committment to each other and to the community at large. It is my hope and greatest dream that all of you who read this blog and who are members of CTF will recognize how important you are. What you do everyday matters. How you conduct yourself matters. Your extreme passion for helping others will leave a mark on the lives of so many people that will last for so many years. And while TV extreme shows will come and go along with other extreme things, one thing that will stay forever is your extreme love of caring for those who are in need.


Until the next time...


Dr. D

Post a Comment