Monday, September 19, 2011

True Power is Understated

I was driving up to Mt. Charleston for one of our quarterly WTS Vegas Manager Meetings. As happens many times while I'm driving, a central thought or thoughts begins to invade my mind. Many times I just begin to ponder about my life and where I am going next. However, this time, I felt an inexplicable urge to think about something that I normally never think about. I thought about Power.

And the first thought about power that came into my mind is how it is abused and thirst for by so many. I also thought about how when one or many gain power that they feel the need to blast it out to everyone. Why is that? Are we a society of egomaniacs? Are we a people who must be noticed and have people put us on pedestal for us to feel good about ourselves. It just really threw me off when I thought more about it. And the conclusion that I came to was that true power is understated.

True power does not make others acknowledge it.

I have gained great insight into this in several examples in my life. My most visible example of it is in the job I work. I truly believe I have one of the most unique jobs in the world as the General Manager of Club Ridges. Every day I am exposed to some of the most wealthy and powerful people in the country and the world. However, when you talk to these folks you would never know it. The don't ask me to recognize their brilliance...to acknowledge their celebrity...or to do special things for them. Nope, they just want to workout and chat sometimes with myself and my staff. That's true power.

Having my doctorate has been one of my greatest gifts and struggles in my life. I came to this conclusion a few days ago when I was riding in my car. It does provide me with a professional advantage, but the gravity of the accomplishment is not something that should be forced upon anyone. I don't want people to call me doctor because they feel they have to out of some weird obligation based on my accomplishing that degree. Some of you might be reading this and thinking if I had my doctorate I would make sure that people call me Doctor all the time, but my friends...there is no power in that. There's more power in people finding out about me having my doctorate and making the choice to call me doctor than if I tell them they need to call me that. My doctorate in no way, shape or form defines me. My colleague Dr. Michael Norwood embodies this the best. This is a man who is one of the top professionals in the fitness industry in my eyes and when I asked him to provide a bio for a book I was writing a few years back he gave me a few sentences. I asked him, "Dr. Norwood, why not more about what you've done?" His reply...."What I've done doesn't matter as much as who I am as a person." That's true power.

You see there's no power in proclaiming that you have the power. There's no respect in asking people to give it to you. And there's no honor in sacrificing who you are as a person in order to achieve some level of success that you think will make you happy. You cannot shoot for the stars, the fame and fortune if you haven't nurtured your soul. Without humbling yourself and growing the inside you, you will not be able to handle the success that could be coming your way anyways.

As I pulled into dirt parking lot next to the hiking entrance to Fletcher Canyon, I gathered my belongings and stepped out of my car. I took a second to look at the mountains and the trees and take in the peaceful nature of the area. As I waited for my fellow managers to arrive for the hike, I felt a great sense of humility and thankfulness for the time we would have together. No frills or big happenings. Just a simple time with some beautifully humble people. That's power.

Until next time...
Post a Comment