Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Time Games

After track practice in college one of my rituals was to go to the athletic training room and cool down on the upright bike while studying for my various exams. I would even go over my notes while I was in the whirlpool after riding the bike. Then I would go to the cafeteria at school and eat dinner while continuing to study for exams, read textbooks and plot out my next day of academic work. My time demands were very heavy in college as a full time student and a full time scholarship athlete. I had to study and work on school work whenever I could.

Today my time continues to be dominated by family, work and other professional interests that keep my plate full. I have been playing time game ever since I can remember, but honestly who doesn’t play them? All of us are pulled in several directions in our lives whether it be financially, emotionally, socially, occupationally, spiritually or intellectually. However, very few people actually win at the time game. The reason…well there are several, but in order to create a healthy forward momentum in life you must avoid procrastination and seek out the opportunities to master your time. Those who don’t make excuses for their time and work when others don’t will always be champions of the time game.

You really have to ask yourself this…am I taking advantage of opportunities to maximize my time even when my time is limited? Have I developed a plan of attack for the barriers and roadblocks in my life that often sidetrack my time? If you have answered no to these questions then you are effectively losing at that time game. And the consequences of losing at the time game are huge. When you fail to plan and manage your time effectively you delay and sometimes miss out on the greatest opportunities both personally and professionally in your life.

I don’t want you to miss out on the great things that are out there for you. You don’t want to live with the regrets of lost time. It is a regret that for many haunts them until their last days. Take a hold of your life and be unique, be bold and be creative. Time will continue to move on long after you are gone so the final question is what will you do with your time? Win the game.

Until next time…


Dr. D

Post a Comment