Friday, December 9, 2011

Personal Champions

I was standing in the kitchen talking to my wife about all the people I have been meeting over the past couple of weeks. In my job, relating to others and being authentic are crucial components to my success. Usually when I talk to my wife about my meetings we get into some really deep conversations about human interaction. However, this time it was different. I found myself getting really emotional and then all of the sudden I just couldn't hold it back. I began to cry. My wife was stunned and came over to give me a hug and console me. She asked "What's wrong? I've never seen you like this." I looked at her with tears streaming down my cheek and told her, "So many people don't have personal champions...everyone needs a personal champion."

You might be thinking...personal champion? What's that? Well, in my interactions with clients, friends, colleagues and family I have heard too many times where they don't have that one person in their lives who would go to the moon for them. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard where people tell me they weren't encouraged to be successful. Or they were neglected and made to feel like they couldn't do anything. Or that their lives have been filled with people who say they will help them out, but then they never follow through on it. The more I hear these stories the more emotional it makes me. My tears were because no one should be left alone to figure out this world. This isn't a game about being alone. It is about sharing life with others who truly have your best interest at heart.

So you have to ask the question, who is your personal champion? Who is that one person or persons who said you could do anything, but also did everything in their power to assist you in doing anything you wanted? You have to delineate between the words people tell you and the actions that follow that. True personal champions do what they say they are going to do. I know in my life my wife, my parents, my brother, a few of my friends and one of my college professors have been personal champions for me. They have guided me, molded me and held me accountable for the steps I have taken in my life. They loved me when I needed to be loved and they were stern with me when I needed a kick in the butt. They provided ideas for me, but also did everything they could to help me make those ideas come to fruition over a long period of time. That's what it means to be someone's personal champion.

As I gathered my belongings to head off to work I was touched by how kind and sensitive my wife was with my feelings. She's been married to me for almost 8 years and while she knows I would be fine and would go about my day undeterred, she still took the time to send me notes of encouragement through the day. The great thing is that it isn't just about that one day to her though. She's been my one of my personal champions since the day I met her. Why? She's loved me consistently hard throughout our marriage and has always supported and encouraged me in whatever I chose to do. Our life has been a very kind and fulfilling life because of how much she has poured in to me. That's a personal champion.

Until next time...

Dr. D




Post a Comment