Saturday, December 17, 2011

Reconnecting

I was checking my e-mail and I came across a friend request from Facebook. Now, getting a friend request is normally not a big deal, but when it is from someone you haven't talked to in about 10 years then that is a bit different. Immediately, thoughts of my time in college began to flood my brain. What was great about it was that it was all positive and this was a person who just through the course of life we just drifted apart when we graduated from college. Long story short, we talked on Facebook and he let me know he was coming to Vegas on business and since then we have hung out a few times here in town and reminisced about the good ole days while also creating new memories.

Do you ever just feel like sometimes you are supposed to come full circle with certain people in your life? One of the greatest mysteries in life is the interaction between people and how we remain connected and how we fall out of those connections. I'm sure everyone reading this can identify with a situation where they fell out of touch with an old friend and suddenly the years just seemed to fade away. Then all of the sudden like in my case with my friend from college, 10 years have passed. Where did the time to go?

Even with the passage of time, I am reminded that life has a funny way of bringing the past to the present. The question we must answer when our past collides with our present is…are we ready to reconcile who we were with who we are? What you represented in your actions in the past may be completely opposite of the life you live now. And building a bridge from the past to the present can be hard when those who knew you back then have a difficult time seeing who you are now. Regardless, it can be very therapeutic to reach backwards in order to move forward in your life.

My buddy from college, who I've hung out with here in Vegas recently, sent me a really nice note after he got back home to Virginia. The basis of the note was simple...it was great to reconnect and talk about the old days, but let's build on this reconnection by creating new memories. Amen to that.

I hope that during this holiday season that you are able to reconnect with someone from your past. I hope that it makes you remember and gives you a sense of wonderment and love about the good times and maybe you will miss it a little bit. I hope that you chuckle when thinking about something you did or said way back when. Remember those times and those friends and respect it even if it was tough because it helped mold you into the person you are today. And finally, vault yourself to the present and create a future that is better than you could have ever imagined many years ago. I wish this for all of you along with daily love and daily strength.

Thank you everyone for reading my blog posts. I so appreciate it. Happy Holidays!
Post a Comment