Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Currency of Goodness

As a frequent networker here in Vegas, I get the chance to meet so many amazing and diverse people. Each time I have a meeting with someone it renews my sense of excitement in others. There is so much to learn from everyone you meet. Each person brings a different perspective to life and that in itself is very rewarding for me. However, the biggest reason I love meeting people is because I have the honor and opportunity to invest the currency of goodness between us and hopefully I can do that over a long time.

If you really think about it, there is no such thing as an overnight success in any business or personal relationship. Good things require time, attention, patience and encouragement. Ultimately, it takes a strong investment into others in order to see a strong return on investment. There is where people often make big mistakes. Some people want things so badly that they forget that the path and the journey are far more important than the end result. How can you appreciate the end result of anything if you have no respect or appreciation for what it took to get there?

For example, my wife and I have been married for 7 and a half years and while I enjoy how wonderful our relationship is, I truly value our marriage because of the memories and consistency of love we have created during the past 7 plus years of marriage. I respect, admire and celebrate the time, attention, patience and encouragement my wife has given to me over that time. If we both never took the time to invest into the entity that is our marriage then we would not be together right now. We invested the currency of goodness into the process of marriage and have enjoyed the results because of that. I always tell people...think and focus more energy into being married than the hoopla behind getting married. Weddings are great and I had a blast at mine, but the real investment is in the process of marriage.

Regardless of whether I am talking about marriage, business or friendship, the principles are the same. Great marriages, great friendships and great businesses thrive on goodness based investments in people over a long period of time. You can never give enough goodness to someone. I challenge everyone reading this to shower the people in your life with goodness. Tell them that you want to give them some goodness because they deserve it. Tell them that you want to serve them because they deserve it. Tell them that you will be there for them because you said you would. Tell them, tell them, tell them how good they are because people need to feel good about themselves!! And remember, the challenge is to do it over a long period of time. Be consistent in your behavior of goodness to others and watch your success multiply in ways you could not have imagined.

Until next time...

Dr. D

Post a Comment