Sunday, March 11, 2012

Eye for the Spotlight

"Lights, camera action, everywhere I turn they be flashing me,
Make way for a superstar, I wanna be a superstar,
I wanna be on stage, Forbes front page everybody knows my name,
Make way for a superstar, I wanna be a superstar...I want the spotlight"

These are the lyrics to the hook on my brother's smash hit song "Eye for the Spotlight" off his King Noah album due to hit stores on June 19th. Today my brother and I spent a lot of time listening to the whole album and what really caught me about this special preview of the album was how beautiful it was the whole way through. It is one of the most uplifting, positive, real and spiritually touched albums I have ever heard. I honestly loved every song, but "Eye for the Spotlight" connected with me the most besides another song titled "Grudges and Growing Pains." Why did that song connect with me? Well, my brother and I's paths have always been led by two parents who always expected us to shoot for the spotlight because our parents wanted us to be the best in whatever we did in life.

While it is important to be humble, kind and generous there's also nothing wrong with gunning for the top position in your professional endeavors as long as you are grounded and centered in the right things and with the right stuff. It is when you mix a centered and humble core along with tremendous work ethic that you get the most successful version of a superstar. My brother's song reminded me that in order to achieve greatness you must strive to become that greatness that you desire. You have to prepare your way for success and then believe you will achieve it.

Look at it this way...you should never aim to be just okay at something you love. You should never be satisfied with being average and just good enough at something you are working towards. Your dreams are not supposed to have limits. Your ambitions should not be tempered because someone told you that you can't do it. You can be a superstar in your home, at your job, in your community and in so many other areas. You just have to be consistent and work like you've never worked before. The requirement is heavy I promise you that, but it is all worth it.

My brother is a wonderful example of that heavy requirement. Over six years ago he embarked upon that eye for the spotlight. I remember being in my brother's apartment back when he had absolutely no beats to record over. He was writing lyrics like crazy, but needed to music to put it all together initially. It was just me and him and his dream. I knew nothing about making beats, but I taught myself because I love my brother so much. I wanted his dreams to come true. I learned the beat making system fruity loops. I spent 14-15 hours a day during my doctoral studies for over a year and created over 300 beats for my brother. Over the years I created less and less beats and my brother amassed more and more producers who wanted to work with him. Every once in a while I still send a beat or two, but I am happy knowing that he can fly on his own and boy is he flying!

Now, he is an award winning songwriter with ASCAP (this is a hugely prestigious award in the music industry), has released several highly praised albums, has his own radio station, had music placed on ESPN, ABC, CBS, PBS, VH1 and the Golf Channel and he has performed his music all over America and in many parts of Europe. Even with all of his success, he is still gunning for that spotlight. He wants to be the best and why wouldn't you want to be the best at what you do?

I take this with me everyday. I see my brother's hustle and it motivates me to hustle harder. I want to be the best fitness professional out there and I am getting there. I honestly don't believe any other fit pro has my hustle, my drive, my level of education or my personality. I believe that because I know there are others who believe the same thing about themselves. They are gunning for my top spot and I can't let them take it. That's my mentality.

"Lights, camera action, everywhere I turn they be flashing me,
Make way for a superstar, I wanna be a superstar,
I wanna be on stage, Forbes front page everybody knows my name,
Make way for a superstar, I wanna be a superstar...I want the spotlight"

Until next time...

Dr. D



Post a Comment