Saturday, May 12, 2012

Value by Association

When I was a kid I remember how my parents would often provide us with a lot of freedom, but at the same time a lot of structure as well. That structure came in the form of doing our homework before we could play out side, acting properly when we went out to functions and so forth. While those things stuck with me and left a great impression on me, I remember one other thing that gave me a profound respect for my parents. They always made sure to have a positive relationship with the parents of the kids we hung out with. What I realized as I got older was that my parents were not only supporting our friendships, but they were also monitoring the type of people that we hung out with. My parents knew that it was important for us to be around people who were doing positive things and who would help to foster our growth as teenagers, but not impede it.

I have taken this approach as an adult in the people that I associate with. Our deeds and actions essentially mean very little if we keep people in our circle that are toxic and negative. Your reputation and value as a person is defined by several things, but one of the most important things is the associations you keep with others.

As a fitness professional, club director, corporate executive and networker I am confident that the value of my associations is very high in each of those jobs. While it is my goal to know many people, it is a more important goal for me to create reciprocal quality relationships and to stay away from those who are not in line with my core values.

So, you have to ask yourself...who are the people you associate with? Evaluate the reputation of those who are close to you. Does their reputation enhance your own reputation? Or does it speak poorly of who you pick to be in your area circle?

In the end, you are only as good as the people around you.

Until next time...

Dr. D

Post a Comment