Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Grass Is Not Always Greener

I sat in my seat hanging on every word that Pastor Judd was saying. He always knows how to bring the Lord's words to life and make them realistic to your life's circumstances. During one of his messages he discussed a topic that many of us can identify with. It is about changing your circumstances because you think something else out there is better for you. And while in certain cases there are better options, Pastor Judd made a great point in saying that before you think the grass is greener somewhere else, why don't you take the time to first water your own grass. I just love that. 

We often live in a society where the shiny new object is the pursuit of so many. New products, attractions and opportunities are everywhere. And while it is certainly important to evaluate how you can move forward in particular with business opportunities; it is prudent to look at the present and ask yourself one question....have you watered your own grass to see it reach its own potential? You can do this evaluation in all phases of your life. You can look at your job, your significant other relationships, friendships and so on and so forth. 

The best example I can give you of this is a personal one for me. I recently celebrated my fifth year as an employee of WTS International. For all five of these years I have worked at Club Ridges, one of our WTS managed properties here in Vegas, it has been a wonderful ride being the GM of this amazing facility and working for an amazing employer in WTS and a client in Howard Hughes Corporation. My time with WTS has allowed me tremendous flexibility between my job and my personal life. It has provided me with room to grow as a professional. And it has provided me with more than a job...it has provided me a second family with the amazing residents of the Ridges who come and work out at Club Ridges. While I have received several offers over the years for other jobs I always come back to my evaluation of what I currently have. Will another job in my industry, the fitness industry, provide me with what I currently have? Not even close!!! I just need to keep growing that situation because it has been so good to me!

And think about it this way, if you are always searching for what's next then you can never harvest what you currently have. I'm not saying that you shouldn't look for new challenges because it is important to be challenged. However, never forget to water and grow the stable aspects of your life. I want to retire with my company, see 20 years with my fitness networking organization and be married until my last breath to my wife. Yes, there is so much out there to explore and be a part of, but never forget where your bread is buttered. 

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Until the next time....

Dr. D
Post a Comment