Monday, September 24, 2012

Nice Words, Nice Outcomes

Seeing people happy is such an important component of life. In my many conversations with people here in Vegas and in my time growing up in various parts of the world, I have come to understand that encouraging others always seems to make people act better towards each other. You see we live in a world where it is hard to find encouragement from others. We are constantly hit with a barrage of feedback that questions the things we do wrong yet rarely praises the things we do right. It has gotten to the point that if you praise someone profusely for their efforts and actions that they sometimes shut down because encouragement is so foreign to most people. It breaks me my heart to see that, but it never stops me from pouring into others. Because after all...what kind of life are you living if you always wake up negative and you blame things on others or stop trying to pursue things that are important to you because you don't believe in yourself?

I found out about encouragement at a very young age. My brother and I are the product of two people, our mother and father, who made sure to always encourage my brother and I in the things we wanted to pursue. I never felt like I couldn't try something or feel a certain way about something. We were encouraged to be ourselves and I always remembered that. I feel it is not only my duty to infuse that into my wife and daughter, but also to my friends and colleagues. I feel it is my duty to be a cheerleader for them and their efforts. While I can't be there in person for everyone I truly care about, I can always send an encouraging word or pray for them as they move towards the the life they so badly want. Whether someone is struggling in their life or they are thriving, I want to encourage them and let them know that things can and will change for the positive as long as they put one foot in front of the other and give the required effort to be present in their life. 

So, maybe you are reading this and thinking "my life is so crazy or it is so complicated...I can't help others if I can't even help myself." Well, what if I told you that in many ways the best cure for helping yourself is through helping others actualize and realize their success?" It is a different approach, but one I truly believe in. Nice words many times equal nice outcomes if it comes from a place that is heartfelt and real. You have the ability to help someone in your life by doing very little. I have friends who when I send them encouraging messages they always tell me that it makes a big difference in their day. Isn't it amazing how just a few words has the power to ignite a flame in someone? Truly amazing. 

Take the time to infuse some goodness into another person today and watch how they will grow right in front of your eyes. Nice words equal nice outcomes in others. Be good to each other. 

Until next time...

Dr. D


Post a Comment