Thursday, February 7, 2013

Number One

Everybody has that song that they just jam to every now and then. You know the song you just can't get out of your head. For me that current song is Kelly Rowland's "Number One." While this song is about being your significant other's number one, it definitely can also generalize to the larger population in being number one for other people in various aspects of our lives.

During my monthly lecture that I conduct for up and coming personal training students at Professional Fitness Institute, I talk about the concept of networking and being number one. And while it is important to strive to be the best, in this case number one is related to networking and always striving to become the number one go to person for the right colleagues in your life. I always tell students that if you can create trust and loyalty with the right people then you will always have opportunities professionally and personally. The greatest thing about being number one to others is that it's really not that hard! How do you become someone's number one. Simple. Be there for them during good times and tough times. Listen to them. Confide in them. Go out of your way to say nice things for them. And so on and so forth. How hard is that to do with your colleagues, friends and family? It actually doesn't take much effort and your return on investment is huge. You will not only get great opportunities for income, but more important you will gain respect, trustworthiness and supreme dependability among the RIGHT people.

So you have to ask yourself, are you someone else's number one? Have you done the necessary things to elevate and position yourself for success personally and professionally with others? If you haven't then you know what you are? You're just someone's number 2, 3, 4 or even worse just someone's last resort when anything comes up. I don't know about you, but  when it comes to excellence in life you want those number one's.

Kelly Rowland said it best with these lyrics in her song "Number One"

"I don't care, I don't share, no, no not with anyone
Hear me clear, when I say, I'll only be number one
And no, I won't ever, ever settle
No compromise, not even a little"

Give generously of your time, talent and treasure to right people in your life. Be their number one...

Dr. D


Post a Comment