Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Magic Behind Meeting People

I haven't always been an outgoing person. When I was in high school I was a very shy and introverted person. Athletics was the main way I felt comfortable expressing myself. Besides that I used to just keep to myself. When I began college I keep with that same approach, but it was debilitating for me. I never felt like I could walk up to anyone and just get to know them. To be honest I was scared to talk to people. I was afraid of rejection and people thinking I was weird by just starting up a conversation with them. After a few semesters in college, I decided I needed to challenge myself to open up. I enrolled in Public Speaking and that class changed my life. I had to get up in front of people every week and speak. It was so nerve racking, but after that course I felt like I could talk to anybody. 

Fast forward to today where any of you reading this who know me well would never think I was that guy who could not talk to people. I make it my mission to meet as many people as possible now. Why? Well, two things. One, meeting people and learning their story is fascinating! Everyone has a rich and deep history that I enjoy learning about. Two, meeting people is how the magic happens both personally and professionally. I can't tell you how many times I have met random people through networking events, twitter chats, speaking engagements, etc. and it has led to wonderful outcomes not only for my personal life, but for my business. I met my wife almost 10 years ago because I took a chance. I have one of the best fitness management jobs in my profession because I wanted to explore a different work environment. I have a thriving side personal training business because of the wonderful personal relationships I have created with awesome people here in Vegas. Meeting people is magical!

So what's the lesson? Put yourself out there and watch your life blossom over time. I know it can be hard. Believe me, I have been there! You have to put in the work and make yourself open to the possibilities that are out there. Make it your mission to meet someone new each week. Doesn't matter where you are. You have that opportunity. The other day I started up some small talk with a gentleman who was directing people to where the Wicked Spoon Buffet is in the Cosmopolitan Hotel here in Vegas. He and I walked for a while around the property and we talked about our kids. I have never met this guy before in my life, but next time I go to the Cosmo he is going to remember me and I am going to remember him. I met a lady in town square a few days ago while I was walking with my groceries to my car. Her and her daughter helped me with my groceries and walked with me from one side of Town Square to the other. We talked about Easter Sunday and how helping others is a wonderful show of love. I never saw this woman and her daughter before in my life. I regularly go on Twitter and ask people who live in Vegas to meet with me after having some small talk with them. What do I want from them? Just an opportunity to learn their story and hopefully help them in whatever way I can. That's magical to me and you can't buy that or manufacture it. 

I sometimes I think back to those speeches I made during Public Speaking class. They certainly weren't the best speeches, but they gave me confidence as a sea of eyes looked upon me each week to evaluate my performance. It was hard work and it was terrifying, but never could I imagine that getting outside my comfort zone would put me on the pathway towards the life I have now. It was totally worth it!

Until next time...

Dr. D




Post a Comment