Friday, September 27, 2013

Too Much of a Good Thing

Lately in my life I seem to be surrounded by so many positive and good things. I am a firm believer that good attracts good and on the opposite side, bad attracts bad. I choose to surround myself with good people with solid values. However, sometimes even things that are good for you can be detrimental to you. As a fitness professional and educator, I am all too aware of the outcomes of excessive exercise participation. While this is not a problem that most of the general public has (more of a under use issue generally), it is still a problem. When exercise becomes a regular part of one's life it is easy to get into the trap of wanting to do it all the time. This leads to over training, which leads to diminishing returns. I can't tell you how many people I have had conversations with lately who over train. Or I can't tell you how many people I see on Instagram and other social media channels who are pushing themselves over and over without knowing the proper science behind physiological adaptation. And the result is I am hearing and seeing a lot of injury and over tired people. You have to ask yourself...is this sustainable over the long haul? Odds are the answer is no. 

Now listen...if any of you know me you know that I am a crazy hard workout person. I don't go to the gym to drink coffee, read the newspaper and socialize. I don't take pictures of myself working out and you really will never hear about what I do. I go, I destroy, I conquer, I move on. There's nothing casual about how I work out. However, I also understand the importance of balance. While I might work out incredibly hard, I'm not back working out crazy hard again the next day. That's like getting punched hard in the face everyday and expecting the bruise to heel. Rest and time are your friend. You have to build in active recovery so that you can experience the adaptations your body needs to make from the work you put in. Consecutive/daily high intensity exercise is not better for you. Its actually worse for you! Even exercise can be too much of a good thing!

While you may not be avid exerciser, the concept of too much of a good thing can be applied to anything in your life and I mean anything. You want a great marriage or relationship with your significant other? Make sure you set aside regular time each month for yourself. Its hard to be good for another person if are always around them and don't make time to explore your own interests and activities. Want to have a great social life? Don't party until you drop every weekend! The party life gets old just like anything else you do all the time without any break. It is so much more fun to party when you haven't done it in a while. Want to be a better parent? Don't spend every second of your days around your kids. While it is certainly important to spend time with your kids to help them grow to be good people, it is also important to show your kids that you have a life of your own with your own interests and passions. I could list more things, but you get the point.

Good things are special and worthwhile to have in your life. If you have good things and people in your life then be extremely thankful. You are a blessed person! However, make sure that you don't over consume those good things. Keep it fresh and interesting in your life. Live a life of variety and curiosity when possible. I promise...it makes the good foundations in your life that much sweeter.

Until next time...

Dr. D
Post a Comment