Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mizuno Wave Rider 17 Review

The following post is sponsored by Fitfluential LLC on behalf of Mizuno. The opinions in this blog are my own.

Mizuno and I have had a very long relationship. It started back in college when I was a collegiate track and field sprinter at James Madison University. I used to wear a pair of black Mizuno track spikes. I wore them for quite a while and they always felt really comfortable on my feet when I ran. Now...running in track spikes is very different than running in normal running shoes. Over the years I have had almost every type of running shoe you can think of from almost every shoe company, but surprisingly I have never tried a pair Mizuno running shoes. 




That is until I had the privilege of receiving a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 17's as a part of a Fitfluential Campaign. These running shoes come out Dec. 5th so I feel fortunate to have tested out these shoes before they hit the market. When I opened the box I was struck by the simplicity of the shoe and its design. Its definitely not a fancy shoe in terms of color and design for the men's version of the shoe, however, I really like that. I also noticed that the heel support seemed to be really strong. As a former collegiate sprinter and current recreational runner I have always focused on the significance of heel support in running shoes. Any running shoe that I have had without much heel support has always caused me to have plantar fasciitis each and every time. Therefore, I was so glad to see that the Wave Rider 17's had plenty of heel support.


I was able to test out my new Mizuno running shoes in a variety of different activities to include distance running, calisthenics, football route running, hill sprints and weight lifting. In each activity I always felt a sense of security and ease with my movements. During my aerobic based activities I felt that each heel strike was supported by tremendous heel support which is what I expected when I first saw the design of the shoe. When running you accumulate a tremendous of amount of foot contacts so you need a shoe that is sturdy over the course of many miles.



When doing explosive anaerobic activities I was able to plant and cut aggressively without thinking about how the shoe would hold up. This shoe definitely has a multi-purpose feel to it which has always been important to me. While these shoes are billed as running shoes I would highly recommend that anyone who purchases them to use them for almost any exercise based activity. And maybe the best part of the shoes is that I continue to have a very positive and long lasting relationship with Mizuno footwear. Definitely happy about that!



Even my daughter Rosie loves the Wave Rider 17's!


Dr. Darian Parker
Post a Comment