Tuesday, March 11, 2014

More Than Meets the Eye

Finding inspiration to write a blog comes from many places. My method of staying regular in writing these blogs is to be aware of the theme of the blog always (investing into your life) and how that theme plays out for me everyday. Currently, I've been influenced by the daily schedule that I have and how people see that routine and may think that defines me. I am sure many of you can relate to living a routine and schedule oriented life. You get up, get dressed, take care of family members (particularly if you have kids), get in the car, head to work, come home, take care of family members, get some relaxation time in and then hit the hay. While there are some variations to theme, for many people this is their daily grind. I am no different. It can be hard to continually go through this grind, but responsibility is important and we have a duty to take care of ourselves and our families through the daily tasks we do. However, you don't have to be defined completely by the everyday grind you go through.

In many ways we are a prisoner to it. But if you really think about it...isn't life more than just doing the same thing everyday? Or are you just defined by who you are at work or what you do professionally? Or maybe you are defined by picking up this person there or running this errand here? Whatever it may be I can tell you this...don't be defined by the routine of your life. There's more than meets the eye with all of us.

For instance, even though my job is a fitness professional, it does not define me. It is my job and something I have been involved in for most of my life. I am very thankful for it and it has given me great joy in my life. However, if you ask me...being a fitness professional does not define me. I don't live fitness. I don't freak out about not working out on my days off and you definitely won't see me posting tons of pictures of me working out. Its just not me. I want people to see a more well rounded person. I don't want people's routine knowledge of me to be that all that I care about is fitness. Hell, that's even why this blog site of mine is not about fitness. Its about all the other things associated with being a human being. I choose to not create a typecast for my life. There's more to me than what I do for a living or the education I have. I'm passionate about music and making music. I'm passionate about travel to far off places. I'm passionate about learning how to make complex and flavorful foods. And I love going to my church Central Christian here in Vegas and getting filled with goodness from the Lord. It gives me such a better perspective on this life I live.

My hope is that if you are reading this that you are able to explore all of your passions and hobbies and let others who are important to you see you for more than what you do on that daily grind. While that daily grind is important, its not all that makes up who you are. There's more than meets the eye with you. Go and seek it and show it. Its out there for you!

Until next time...

Dr. D
Post a Comment