Sunday, October 5, 2014

Make It Count

The longer you live the better you understand the value of living each day. As a person in my mid 30's I believe I have finally reached an epiphany about life that you just can't have when you are in your 20's. Its a rather grim epiphany, but for me it drives home the point about our existence and how we spend our time during it. One day I'm going to die and so are you. There...I said it. Sounds terrible right? But actually, its not...

I think it sounds like the blaring horn that we all need to remember in our lives. Every day is a gigantic blessing. Its a huge opportunity to do something powerful with your life because nothing is every promised to us each day. How did I come to this epiphany? It was really an accumulation of things in my life. It was the end of my networking group, Connect to Fitness, and me thinking how I really wanted to spend my time helping others. It was and still is watching my brother, Wordsmith, rise to fame as an independent hip hop artist. It's seeing my staff members at Club Ridges happy and healthy and working a job that gives them so much love and fulfillment. Its seeing my wife and my daughter take a picture together on a hiking trip. Its seeing my parents still in love after all these years. Its just so many things, so many people, so many situations that have added up to me staring down the barrel of that gun and knowing that one day I will just be a memory on this planet.

Once that epiphany hit me, I've been running full steam ahead towards the life that I've always wanted to live. I've become more considerate of what my family and friends need and desire. I hug my staff more and tell them how much I love them. I thank my parents for being wonderful people. I provide even more praise and encouragement for my brother in his music career. I wake up and I think "who has it better than me?" I've been blessed way too many times. More than I deserve I feel, but you know what? I am going to keep running as hard as I can to visit that random country that fascinates me. I'm going to eat more exotic foods, go to more beer and wine festivals, do more spontaneous off the cuff things. Why?

Because one day its going to be over. And guess what? I don't want to regret my life when I'm near the end. I don't want to look back and think...what the hell did I do with my life? That's something that I just can't bear. That's something I just won't allow to happen. And I don't want it to happen to any of you as well. You have the opportunity every day to make something positive happen whether it be big or small. You own that choice. What are you doing with that choice right here, right now? Its up to you, but remember....you can keep telling yourself that you have all this time, but the truth is...you just don't know.

Get after your life. Make. It. Count.

Until next time....

Dr. D
Post a Comment