Thursday, July 30, 2015

The "No" Word Perspective

Life as a child is often very different in terms of how you see the world. I remember when I was a kid we moved around a lot due to my father being in the military. One of my favorite places that we we lived was Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. Everything on the base seemed super sized to me. From the base itself to our house...everything was massive in my eyes as a child. When I became an adult I went back to visit Ft. Leavenworth and it wasn't the same. The house that we lived in was now very small to me. The yard, which seemed to cover a vast distance in my mind when I was 10, now looked like a small patch of grass. What changed? Was it the size of the house or the yard? Nope, it was me. I grew up and I changed. My view of the world had morphed and my perspective had changed as well. I was no longer attached to that place as I had filled my life with newer experiences and people. Still, I have fond memories of that time in my life.

So, what does it all mean? For me, the journey of life is so much about your awareness and understanding of the time you are in. You can't travel backwards to relive what you had, but you can always respect and learn from the past. The same can be said about the future. You can't predict or know the future. However, you can make your best preparations for a desired outcome. And will that desired outcome happen? Maybe...maybe not, but planning for it will make it more likely than not. 

And the real truth is that in life your improved perspective (hopefully as you age) will help you deal with the fact that life sometimes life tells you no. We can't have everything we want and we can't always hear the word yes. Rejection is hard to take, but sometimes its necessary. Sometimes getting kicked and roughed up a bit prepares us for future obstacles we will face. And it can help us better enjoy the good times when the word "yes" flows abundantly.

In the end "no" doesn't have to be a bad thing. It might just be a bridge towards something else. Or maybe someone told you no because it was in your best interest at that time in your life. Whatever the reasons or circumstances, its important to have perspective either in the moment (which I understand is very hard to do) or gain that perspective by taking some time to reflect upon the situation.

And even so, I understand that hearing no and having perspective is difficult to handle. You will have emotions related to it and that's ok. Emotions are normal, but take the time to understand that moment and just maybe...maybe..."no" will mean some great yes moments in the future. I wish that for all of you.

Until next time...

Dr. D
Post a Comment